Research Academy Certificate (RAC)
- Created to broaden faculty training (specific grant training)
- Increase collaboration
- Leverage outstanding research
- Increase funding success
- Offer exclusive funding opportunities for certificate awardees
Certificate Points (CP)
The Research Academy offers many paths to achieving a total of 80 certificate points in two years. Certificate points are gained by attending/completing Research Academy sponsored training, seminars, showcases, mentoring, and more.
- Grant specific (e.g., K Awards, F Awards, DoD, Foundation) seminars (5 certificate points)
- Inter-institution collaboration (5 certificate points)
- Assisting junior research faculty and the faculty affairs office in developing goals and a five-year career plan (5 certificate points)
- Showcase of Medical Discoveries attendance (5 certificate points); presentation (10 certificate points)
- Federal Study Section assignments (10 certificate points)
- Serving on a UAMS research committee (10 certificate points) (e.g., IRB, IACUC, URC, COVID-19 strategy committee)
- Establishing an interinstitutional research collaboration that publishes together and obtains an external grant (15 certificate points)
- Completing the Mentor/Scholar grant writing course (15 certificate points)
- Obtaining an externally funded research grant (with indirects) after receiving a DEAP/MRE/FRE intramural fund grant (10 certificate points)
- Obtaining an externally funded federal research grant (with indirect costs) such as NIH, NSF, DOD, EPA, NCI, DOJ, USDA, DOE, etc. (15 certificate points)
- Obtaining a large externally funded foundation grant (10 certificate points) (PCORI, American Heart Assoc., American Cancer Society, etc., (10 certificate points), unless indirects provided, then (15 certificate points)
Designated Grant Program (DGP)
- The Designated Grant Program is a pilot funding opportunity for those faculty members who attain a Research Academy Certificate.
- Faculty members (assistant professor level and higher) are eligible to apply for Designated Grant Program funding (up to $40,000)
- Designated Grant Program is a dedicated funding opportunity for faculty who have achieved 80 Research Academy Certificate points.
- The Graduate Research Academy Certificate (GRAC) program requires participants earn at least 20 RA points annually
- Past Designated Grant Program funding recipients may reapply every three years as funding is available.