The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), an independent, non-profit research organization, helps patients/providers make better informed health decisions. PCORI seeks research that provides reliable, evidence-based information for patient health care choices and has 5 main programs:
- Clinical Effectiveness And Decision Science
- Healthcare Delivery And Disparities Research
- Evaluation And Analysis
- Research Infrastructure
PCORI has launched a free online training for those who are new to health research and want to learn more about the research process.
PCORI National Priorities and Research Agenda
- Assessment of Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment Options: Comparing effectiveness and safety of alternative prevention, diagnosis, and treatment options (i.e., which options work best for people with a specific health problem).
- Improving Healthcare Systems: Comparing health system–level approaches to access, patient self-care, health information technology, care for complex conditions, and workforce deployment.
- Communication and Dissemination Research: Comparing effectiveness research information, empowering people to ask for/use the information, and supporting shared decision making between patients/providers.
- Addressing Disparities: Identifying potential differences in prevention, diagnosis, or treatment effectiveness, or clinical outcomes across patient populations and healthcare needed for to achieve best outcomes.
- Accelerating Patient-Centered Outcomes Research and Methodological Research: Improving the nation’s capacity to conduct patient-centered outcomes research, by building data infrastructure, improving analytic methods, and training researchers, patients, and other stakeholders on this research.